This article is for IT Support at schools with Linewize Community who use School Manager to manage students’ access to their network and internet connections.
Parents and Guardians
In this article, we use the term ‘parent’ to include guardians and other legal custodians. Linewize will not arbitrate disputes between parents.
School Manager accepts two .csv template formats for uploading or importing parent data: Simple and OneRoster. You should use the OneRoster format if possible. If you can’t supply all of the data required for the OneRoster format, use the Simple format.
Before You Begin
Download the appropriate template.
- In School Manager, go to Configuration > Community > Parent Data Upload.
- Select simple CSV or OneRoster CSV and download the appropriate template.
Simple CSV Format
Your CSV file must contain the following fields in this order:
|StudentUsername||The username for a student must match their School Manager username and is case sensitive.|
|ParentFirstName||The parent’s First Name.|
|ParentLastName||The parent’s Last Name or Surname.|
|ParentEmail||Must be unique.|
Figure 1: Example simple CSV template
OneRoster CSV Format
To ensure proper CSV file formatting, you must add data to all columns, except for the middleName field, and include all template column headers in the file. Your CSV file should contain the following column headers in this order:
Must be a unique ID.
|role||Must either be a Student or Guardian. Guardian Role will be added as a Parent.|
User is a Student
User is a Parent
|givenName||The person's First Name.|
|familyName||The person’s Last Name.|
|middleName||(Optional) The person’s Middle Name.|
|Must be unique.|
|status||Must always be Active.|
|agents||Should only be completed for a parent user. Must contain the comma-separated sourcedID’s for all students associated with that parent.|
Figure 2: Example OneRoster CSV template
Multiple Parents for a Student
Using the CSV templates, you can add multiple parents to a single student. You must list each parent on a separate row, and each parent must have a unique email address. For example, if student1 has two parents using the simple CSV template, you would duplicate the student and add separate parent details on each row.
Figure 3: simple CSV template with multiple parents for a student
Figure 4: OneRoster CSV template with multiple parents for a student
Parent Data Upload Error
If School Manager detects problems with the data uploaded, you will either receive an error message preventing the upload of the .CSV file or be given the option to download an error file highlighting any data with incorrect formatting.
The most common causes of errors are:
- The student usernames in School Manager and your .csv don’t match. The match is case-sensitive.
- Your .csv file lists the fields in the wrong order. The fields must be presented in the listed order for both the Simple and OneRoster formats.
- More than one parent has the same email address. Each parent must have a unique email address, even if they are from the same family.
- Your .csv is missing key data. The simple .csv must have data in all for fields for every parent. The OneRoster .csv must have data in the sourcedId, role, username, givenName, familyName, email, status, agent for each parent.
After correcting any errors in your .csv file and successfully completing the upload, you can review your Community Dashboard and Parent Management pages.
If you still have additional questions or issues, please contact your Linewize Account or Success Manager.
Please sign in to leave a comment.