This article is intended for IT Support at schools with Linewize Community which use School Manager to manage students’ access to their network and internet connections.
Parents and Guardians
In this article, we use the term parent to include guardians and other legal custodians. Linewize will not arbitrate disputes between parents.
Community’s Share Student Timeline lets your school provide parents with a timeline of student usage data from school managed devices through the Qustodio parent app or website. Your school can configure what you share and when student usage from a school managed device is captured. You can also prevent specific students or groups from having their Timeline shared with their parents.
Parents can use Qustodio to view a Dashboard and Timeline for connected children.
- The Dashboard displays daily and weekly summary data of Top Apps/Sites and Top Categories.
- The Timeline presents their child's activity chronologically based on your school's settings.
Parents cannot see red flags or other alerts. We have found that sharing alerts with parents is a potential risk to students and that parents may misinterpret alerts. Flagged data may still be shared with parents (depending on your school's configuration), but our firm policy is that Qustodio will not notify parents of any alerts raised by your school.
Before You Begin
- You must set your school’s hours and days in School Manager’s School Calendar.
- Sign in to School Manager as an Owner/Global Administrator or Community Administrator and go to Configuration > Community > Configure Community. Ensure the Share Student Timeline option is available. Contact your Linewize Account or Success Manager if you can’t see this option.
Enabling Student Timeline Sharing
Before enabling Community, you must ensure all student and parent information is correct in your School Information System (SIS) or other sources of truth. Community relies on your data being accurate to deliver services and correctly add parents and students together. More information can be found in the following articles:
To enable student timeline sharing:
- Go to School Manager > Configuration > Community > Configure Community.
- Enable the Share Student Usage and Insights checkbox.
- Enable the Share Student Timeline checkbox.
- Using the dropdown, select one Data Sharing Time. Options include:
- All Time - student data usage will be captured regardless of when it occurs, both during and outside school time.
- School Time Only - student data usage will only be captured during school time.
- Outside School Time Only - student data will only be captured outside school time.
- Enable one or both of the checkboxes for Share Allowed Activity and Share Blocked Activity.
- Share Allowed Activity - student activity allowed by your School Manager's content filtering policies.
- Share Blocked Activity - student activity blocked by your School Manager's content filtering policies.
- Select Save.
- The Enable Share Student Timeline dialog will appear. Select Enable Share Student Timeline.
Manage Data Sharing Exclusions
Manage Exclusions allows you to exclude specific students or groups from having their Timeline shared with parents. The parents of excluded students will not receive any Student Timeline data about them, even if they are already connected to them.
To set student timeline sharing exclusions:
- Select Manage Exclusions. The Manage Exclusions dialog will appear.
- In the Exclude Groups field, enter the name of the group containing users you want to exclude.
For more information, see Adding and Managing Groups in School Manager.
- Select the group name from the matching results. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to add more groups.
- In the Exclude Users field, enter the user name of specific students you want to exclude.
- Select the user name from the matching results. Repeat steps 4 and 5 to add more users.
- Select Save Exclusions.
Additional Data Sharing Options
If your school has enabled MITM and HTTPS Inspection, you can choose whether or not show students’ Bing and Google search history, and YouTube history on their timeline.
- Enable or disable one or both checkboxes for Share Search Terms and Share Videos Accessed.
- Select Save.
Please sign in to leave a comment.