You can manually install Linewize Connect and the Linewize Authentication Agent on each device, or alternatively, you can deploy them to school-managed devices using a device management platform. This guide will walk you through installing the Connect and Authentication Agent on your devices.
We have detailed the process for manual installation and for several commonly used device management platforms. If your school uses a solution not mentioned in this guide, please contact your Linewize Account Manager or our support team for help.
The Authentication Agent is supplied by a Linewize Service Delivery Engineer during your initial School Manager deployment. If you want an updated Authentication Agent version, please contact Linewize Support.
Manually installing the Authentication Agent
- Copy the .msi (Windows) or .pkg (Mac) file supplied to you by Linewize to your chosen device
The agent/s follow the below naming convention:
- Double-click the installer or run the following commands to install in the background silently.
- Windows: <msi-installer-directory> msiexec.exe /i auth_agent.school_manager_id.msi /quiet
- Mac: sudo installer -pkg auth_agent.school_manager_id.pkg -target /
- Repeat this process for each device.
Manually installing Connect
- Download the current Connect for installer from here or go to School Manager > Configuration> Agent Downloads.
- Open the installer as administrator and follow the prompts.
- Once installed, the Connect icon will appear in your taskbar (for Windows) or menu bar (for Macs).
- Repeat this process for each device.
Deploying to Windows via Group Policy Object (GPO)
You can use a Microsoft Server Group Policy to deploy the Connect for Windows Agent (.MSI file) and Authentication Agent (.MSI file) to Windows devices.
Ensure the .MSI files are accessible by domain users.
You will need to complete this process twice, once for the Connect agent and once for the Authentication Agent.
- Create a new GPO by opening Group Policy Management.
- Open the Run window (Windows Key + R).
- Type gpmc.msc and then select Ok.
- Expand the Domain Forest and select the Organizational Unit you wish the Connect Agent to be added to.
- Right-click the Organizational Unit and select Create a GPO in this domain, and Link it here…
- In the Name box, type Linewize Deployment and then select Ok.
- Right-click the Linewize Deployment Policy and then select Edit.
- Expand Computer Configuration > Policies > Software Settings.
- Right-click Software Installation and then select New > Package...
- Specify the network path where the Connect Agent or Authentication Agent is located, then select Open.
- Select Assigned and then select Ok.
Deploying to Windows 10+ via Microsoft Intune
You can use Microsoft Intune to deploy the Connect for Windows Agent (.MSI file) and Authentication Agent (.MSI file) to Windows 10+ devices.
Follow the Microsoft documentation to add a Windows line-of-business app to Microsoft Intune.
Deploying to Windows via Systems Manager
You can use Systems Manager to deploy Connect Agents, Authentication Agents, and apps for Windows devices.
Follow the Meraki documentation on Installing Custom Apps on Windows Devices.
macOS and iOS
Deploying to macOS via Jamf Pro/Jamf School
You can use Jamf to deploy the Connect for macOS Agent (.PKG file) and Authentication Agent (.PKG file) to macOS and iOS devices.
- Follow Deploying Linewize Connect for macOS v3+
- For more information about Jamf Pro, follow Uploading a Package to Jamf Pro and Installing Packages.
- For more information about Jamf School, follow building packages and content distribution.
Deploying to macOS and iOS via Systems Manager
You can use Systems Manager to deploy Connect Agents, Authentication Agents, and apps for iOS and macOS devices.
Follow the Meraki documentation on Installing Custom Apps on Mac Devices.
Deploying to iOS
Deploying to Chrome via Google Admin Console
You can use the Google Admin Console to deploy the Connect for Chrome Extension.
You don’t need the Authentication Agent when using Connect for Chrome.
Follow the Deploying Linewize Connect Extension for Chrome Guide.