This article is for IT support with a School Manager physical appliance.
Safe Search is a service run by Microsoft and Google to remove mature content from search results in Bing, Google Search, and YouTube Search. You can configure your School Manager physical appliance to enforce Safe Search.
We recommend installing Linewize Connect, whenever possible to reduce the load on your appliance and have the user’s local device enforce Safe Search.
Before You Start
You can segment yourSafe Search configuration into custom Safe Search profiles, if you need different search access by groups. You can identify a range of IP addresses, the subnet for a group of devices or create Object Pools with MAC addresses or IP addresses.
Enabling Safe Search
- Go to Filtering > Safe Search.
- Select Add Rule.
- Select Edit (pencil icon).
- Click Select Criteria in Groups and Devices and then add the identity of the users or devices.
|User||Pick a single user name from a list|
|Group||Pick a list name from your predefined Groups|
|Network Range||Type the starting and ending IP addresses for a range of devices|
|Network||Type IP address and subnet mask for a group of devices|
|IP Address||Type a single IP address|
|IP Address Object||Select one of your pre-configured Pools of IP Addresses|
|MAC Address||Type the MAC address of a single device|
|MAC Address Object||Select one of your pre-configured Pools of MAC addresses|
Leave the Criteria blank if you want to apply the Safe Search configuration to all users.
- Select Enforced in Google Safe Search to enforce age-appropriate Google Search results (websites and images).
- Select a fair use category from the Usage Rights list for images students might copy from a Google Image Search.
Select Not filtered by license if you want all images displayed, regardless of the fair usage rights associated with the image.
You can visit the International Press Telecommunications Council (IPTC) “Web Statement of Rights” tracked in Google Image Search.
- To enforce age-appropriate video results, select Moderate or Strict in Youtube Safe Search.
- Strict mode blocks videos, comments, recommendations, and YouTube search results based on School Manager’s filtering categories for the most sensitive viewers.
- Moderate mode adds some limited access topics appropriate for older students who need legitimate access to topics such as war history, social issues or human biology.
- To enforce age-appropriate search results in Bing, select Enforced in Bing Safe Search.
- Select Save.
Repeat the steps if you need to create different Safe Search criteria for a separate group of users or devices.